Hi Charles, *,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

It  seems Christian finally found a workaround to the rather insane
issue of the rss feeds displayed on the homepage that will break
everytime. I've put Florian and Italo in copy: it seems the workaround
is to not tag a blogpost as new.

No, that's a big misunderstanding here.

The problem with the feed was one single blogentry that contained
control-characters (non-printable characters, control-codes) that are
invalid in xml. The feed parser doesn't deal with those and thus gives
the error.

I'm not sure how one does that with
Wordpress, but if a blog post is not tagged as new the rss feed will
work.

No. the hesitation with editing the blogposts was because people told
that editing a post will bring it up to first position in feeds/the
blog overview as if it was a new post.
So I didn't dare to try to attempt to modify it (and nobody else with
access to the blog did) - only now since the entry is old and I would
have been fine with just hiding/unpublishing it completely - I tried
to fix the broken post. And that worked just fine. Just entering the
post's body won't treat it as new post. It will have a last-modified
property updated, but that doesn't matter for the position in the
feed/when viewing the overview in the browser.

This bug is a Silverstripe one, and not related to Wordpress.

And this is completely wrong. Clearly wordpress is at fault here. It
is wordpress that creates invalid xml in the feed. It is wordpress
that accepts control-characters in the individual posts in the first
place.

Silverstripe (or specifically simplepie, the php-rss-parser-library
that is used by silverstripe), could be more ignorant of what is fed
into it, i.e. accept invalid xml, but that doesn't make it a bug in
silverstripe.

ciao
Christian