Hello Daniel,

Le Thu, 7 Nov 2013 09:09:19 -0200,
"Daniel A. Rodriguez" <daniel.armando.rodriguez@gmail.com> a écrit :

2013/11/7 Charles-H. Schulz <charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Andrew, Daniel,

Le Thu, 7 Nov 2013 08:15:28 -0200,
"Daniel A. Rodriguez" <daniel.armando.rodriguez@gmail.com> a écrit :

2013/11/7 Charles-H. Schulz
<charles.schulz@documentfoundation.org>

Hello,

I'd like to collect your feedback on one specific areas which
will be so to say one of the most visible outcomes of the new
website: new and improved top menus.

I would not exactly call the top menus of the present website my
pet-peeve, but for some reasons they can end up being quite
confusing. The "Get Help - Get Involved - Developers" suite
strikes me as unclear, especially for the pages it's leading
too (note: I don't mind redundancy in content, but not so much
for top menus).

Here's a very first and rough ideas of the top menus I'm
thinking about. Please comment:

- The Suite
- Download
- Get Help -Support (pardon the unclear title)
- Community
- Events
- About

What do you think?

What about 'discover it' instead of 'The Suite'? Since this is
LibreOffice main site.

First, thanks for your input. What you guys are both hinting at -and
we'll see that with the users survey later this weekend- is not so
much an access to our community infrastructure (mailing lists, git
repo, etc.) and a standard product page that an articulation of
content that's aimed to the end users - and even more precisely at
the new or potential end users.

My question then would be twofold:
- should we have an overlay of pages (like we have right now, if you
  simply go to libreoffice.org) presenting the "discover it" as
well as the "get involved" aspects on top of the static homepage?
- should the "Get Involved" section or top menu be actually
different from anything that could fall under the community section?

My feeling -it's only my opinion- would be that whatever we do for
anything like these sections and the homepage, we do it with the new
or  potential users in mind. In other terms we ought to be
targetting the:
- potential user, who can be anything between a total newbie up to a
  rather experienced user of MS Office or any other suite
- a new user or just a user who might as well be tempted in joining
the community and get involved.

In this sense we have a recurring theme when it comes to the future
content and its  presentation. More specialized parts of our infra
ought
to be accessed from these menus or from  places like the download
section and the About section.

What do you think?

What about defining sections? As mentioned in another thread, maybe we
could have a main area, with translatable content, surrounded by NL
teams own info and advanced users section.

Let's try then :-) Below is a rough sketch.

- Home :
Home Page - Welcome page: Slogan, visuals, news, tweets, punchline of
the moment, donate, "discover LibreOffice and Download buttons".

- Discover Libreoffice
- What's LibreOffice? -  Presentation of the suite apps (submenus first
  level) - LibreOffice, the community - get involved today- whatever
  nice marketing materials we can come up with in terms of software
  comparison: "LibreOffice vs MS Office". Granted, we may not have the
  last one ready.

 - Download
Download Page for the two stable branches and the langpacks and
integrated help. Link to the source code. The package selection, just
like today, links to the second download page which prompts for the
donations. Button to "get involved"

- Get Help -Support (pardon the unclear title)
I don't foresee any major difference than the one we have currently. A
clear separation between the various kind of help channels of course,
and a section for professional support and certified partners.

- Community
breaking the section into several topics/teams: dev, qa,
doc,native-lang/l10n*, marketing, website, infra, design, etc.  with the
proper links for the mailing lists or specific pages; as well as as IRC
channels, etc.
--> links to the development tools: gerrit and a dev page (we have it
already somehow, on our development top section)
--> link to a specific L10n Page (somewhat depends as well on us
creating a specific page explaining the process in a few words, plus
links to Pootle and translations.documentfoundation.org )
- link to the wiki
- link to pads
- link to the public owncloud repo.

- Events
So I thought about this section for a while. It does not exist anywhere
on the current website. In fact, there's nothing about events anywhere
but the wiki. That sucks, not just for us as for any event organizers
who would actually like to have this kind of promotion anyway. Besides
we leave contributors in the dark on this topic, which is sad.

- About
About section should explain in a few words what the LibreOffice
project is, how it started, plus the relation with the Document
Foundation . Also included should be the legal matters subsection
(licensing, source code, as well as German legal imprint), a few words
about our governance and a specific page (subsection) on the Advisory
Board.

I'm SURE I've forgotten something :-) Feedback welcome,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder & Director, The Document Foundation,