Hello,

based on the discussions we had yesterday, I'd like to share the current infrastructure budget plannings we have. I am writing this with my infra hat on, not with my board head. I first like to have a discussion here, and based on those results, propose a concrete budget to the board for 2013.

I convey no secret by saying that we rent our machines at Hetzner in Germany. You can see their offers at http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ex

Our current infrastructure runs on these machines:

bilbo (EQ4) - old hardware revision; email and downloads
 49,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 15,00 € Flexipack for SSD
 15,00 € SSD
 15,00 € SSD

kermit (EQ4) - old hardware revision; web
 49,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port

pumbaa (EX6) - internal machine
 69,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port

floyd (EX6) - backup and deployment
 69,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port

grisu (EX 6S) - virtual machines
 79,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 15,00 € Flexipack for subnet
 22,50 € /27 subnet

monthly 592,50 €
yearly 7.110,00 €

If you look at our budget, you will discover that the monthly fees are higher. This is due to the fact that we have already a another EX 6S machine running which we are using for planning and evaluating the migration to the new platform. I leave this machine out of the above calculation, to ensure comparability.

Our current plan is to migrate all machines to EX6S based application servers, backed by two large storages, that will also serve as backup and deployment systems, and ideally also as database cluster.

Accounting-wise, this will mean the removal of the old-revision bilbo and kermit machines. Current floyd will become bilbo2, current testing machine will become kermit2, plus we will need to storages.

Based on that, the calculation would look like this:

bilbo (EX6S)
 79,00 €base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 + 99,00 € upgrade fee

kermit (EX6S)
 79,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port

pumbaa (EX6S)
 79,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 + 99,00 € upgrade fee

grisu (EX6S)
 79,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 15,00 € Flexipack for subnet
 22,50 € /27 subnet
 5,00 € Failover-IP

storage (XS13)
 139,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 15,00 € Flexipack for 2nd NIC
 + 199,00 € setup fee
 + 29,00 € 2nd NIC

storage (XS13)
 139,00 € base fee
 39,00 € GBit port
 15,00 € Flexipack for 2nd NIC
 + 199,00 € setup fee
 + 29,00 € 2nd NIC

In a nutshell, this would result in the following costs:

monthly 900,50 €
yearly 10.806,00 €
one-time fees 654,00 €

I would like to discuss this calculation in public before approaching the board for budget planning. Not taken into account is the chance of getting a sponsorship by some ISPs. I am currently in contact with two possible supporters, and will follow-up when I have details.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108