On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 13:09 +0100, Anders Holbøll wrote:
On 17-02-2012 22:09, drew wrote:
Went ahead and removed the section on forums, with links to old sites,
from the 'Get Help' page and replaced with a section on, and link to,
the new AskLibo site. (also changed the order so this AskLibo section
comes now before the section on Nabble)

Simplification is a good thing, especially on a help site. But I think
the page still seem as a "wall of text" and a bit overwhelming.

Yeah - had the same thought.

Maybe it would be helpful to group the page in two sections/columns: the
interactive (ask-lo, mailinglists, nabble, irc) and the documentation
(the rest)?

Many of the items have multiple links to the same place. This is not
helpful because there is more options to consider, when you don't know
that they do the same thing. E.g. the documentation section have two
links to the same place and the Nabble section have four.

Yes - I'll try to trim that down.

It seems to me that the FAQ should be removed since its function is the
same as the Ask site which has the added benefit of being dynamic and
therefor up-to-date. So I think the useful questions should be moved to
the ask site and some could probably be retired (e.g. "Where to get
support?" is quite artificial since if the user found it, they already
found the support section).

On the question of moving the FAQ - maybe.. I'm not really certain that
it would be truly redundant. (though the question you reference, yes
does seem to be just that, redundant)

I have been hanging out in the IRC-channels the past days and it seems
to me, that there is few questions that get a good answer (either
because there is no one around, they are asking in #documentfoundation
or nobody knows). Also it seems to be inefficient to help one user at a
time. So it seems that IRC should not be advertised as a place for
end-user help. To many help options spreads the resources to thin.
Perhaps a bot could post new questions from the Ask site into the
channel, just as new bugs in bugzilla are posted to the developer
channel, for those that really like IRC. (Just as a bot might post a
digest of the unanswered Ask-questions to the mailing list weekly?)

IRC - personally I would totally drop it for user support.

Helping one user at a time, yes I suppose that is a quaint idea.

I think that the sections for mailing lists and Nabble (as others have
said, it should just be called "the web interface") should be combined
since they are two interfaces to the same thing.

yes that sounds about right IMO.

I'll try to actually implement a few of those ideas today and ping back
afterwards.

//drew