Hi all,

Recently we discussed the need to improve the download page (on the marketing list). Christoph was so kind to help us to find again the existing wiki page on the subject with the mockups, Download page whiteboard page:
 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page

Without doubt, this is the best we have at this stage. However, with discussions from the last months in mind, I've been thinking and looking a while about some possible improvements: How to offer our latest greatest as much as possible, though in a responsible way, and soon?

The idea:
--------
So:
 a. how to show the default / other download
 b. when do we switch the development lines 'default' <> 'other'

AD a
- The intention is to get people download the latest as soon as reasonable safe. - Condition: the version can be installed by all, without trouble, and no problems in basic use - How: Start with labelling 3.5.x asap as default, possibly already the 3.5.0, + a clear link nearby, explaining the availability of the 'more conservative release'. - Rationale: that should be enough for people with some understanding about software. And the people that do not understand it, probably make use of so little features, that there is no problem for them that the 3.5.0/1 has some more glitches :-)

AD b
- Basically is answered with a.: the version can be installed by all, without trouble and we show a clear link leading to information.

Result:
-------
I think we must distinct between three situations/phases
 1. 3.5.x must be promoted but with care
    (might be 3.5.0, maybe 3.5.1 or might even be skipped)

 2. 3.5.x considered good enough
    for non-expert installation and use
    (might be 3.5.0, maybe 3.5.1)

 3. 3.5.x is simply default
    (for probably 3.5.1 or 3.5.2 and up)

I've done three simple, rough mockups and added them to the wiki
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Download_Page#Mockups_2012

Compared to the previous mockups (1), I suggest to skip the explaining texts. Those are always debatable, and we link to a page (popup?) with some more words for understandable explanation.

The ideas for download buttons, offering help packs (windows/Linux) and Language packs/OS (Linux) as suggested in the previous mockups are OK, must haves.

Also links for/to 'we've guessed wrong', 'handy resources' should be there too.

Can this be done?
-----------------
So ... I hope this is technically possible.
Of course this makes it necessary that we discuss about the status of (earlier) releases in order to get the download page in proper shape. But we have those discussions anyway ;-)

Cheers,
Cor

1) Linked from the wiki
 - windows default example: