Looks like I hit a very frayed nerve. I do think that this discussion
should be thrashed out a bit, but not only on the mailing lists, we
need to engage the whole community through the website somehow. Any
suggestions?

A mailing list is used here because it allows maximum working efficency,
far over any web based service.
- Nino

Sounds like an opinion stated as fact. It may maximise your working
efficiency, but what about others?
Also a mailing list IS just a web based service with a server and a
client, yes the client can cache data (emails), but many other systems
can do this also, XML for example.

So maybe you just do not know how to make maximum benefit from the
lists?
- Nino

Shouldn't any service provided by a community trying to encourage
large growth be intuitive from the very start?
Maybe you are right Nino, Mailing lists are somewhat difficult for
inexperienced users to use.

There are a lot of options in this area. One person might say that
forums are terrible because of the graphical user interface.

While many people are moving their entire Internet existence to the
cloud we are talking about a backlash by having a single repository of
discussions rather than a whirlwind of emails shooting back and
forward, some public, some private in which big decisions that affect
the whole community are made. I can't guarentee that things will work
exactly the way every single person wants in a new community, but I am
sure we can all compromise to find the best solution for everyone.

Maybe we can setup some kind of integration between the forums and the
mailing lists. Drupal, there's a module for that. (Notifications and
Reply by email)

The question stands, if the system is being driven off a forum or
similar www graphical interface but still has the same functionality
through email, is that acceptable?

Michael Wheatland (Wheatbix)
www.wheatland.com.au/libreoffice