Hi!

El 2016-10-16 13:21, Julian Brooks escribió:
HI again,

I have a couple of questions regarding auto-numbering.

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered - I've spent umpteen hours attempting to sort this over several days on and off, pouring through
documentation and the archives.

Two questions:

1. My Master Documents chapters numbering always starts from 1 - how can
this run concurrently for chapter1, chapter 2 etc etc.?

That's weird, because it should be as you want by default. Without seeing the actual document it is quite difficult to guess what's wrong. Check if the styles selected on Tools → Outline numbering are the same on Master and subdocuments.

2. My introductory chapter has several subheadings, with the proviso of the above, how can I auto-number my introductions subheadings (0.1, 0.1.1 etc.)?

That's not easy, sorry. It seems Writer belong to the school of thinking that says "zero is not a natural number" so even if there is no numbered heading before, a subheading will start with "1.1" instead of 0.1.

If you really want a leading zero, I think your only chance is to fake the numbering. Remember that you can set an "outline level" to any paragraph style on the "Outline and numbering" tab of the style definition, so you can "clone" the first and second level paragraph styles used on the rest of the document, set those clones to get outline level 1 and 2 and then fake the numbering either by writing them by hand or by using a sequence field.

You'll need to later fix the TOC, though

Cheers,

Julian

--
Il mio blog in italiano: https://ilpinguinoscrittore.wordpress.com/