At 09:29 08/09/2016 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:
A document I am writing needs to have internal references in its footnotes and I really need to be able to keep these automatically up-to-date with the page numbers. They would look this (here ascii-fied):

[176] 6.4.2 Session Highlights, 47

I expect to provide the section number and title, but the page number '47' in the example above ought to track from the text itself. How can I plant the marker in the original text and then reference it in the footnote?

I'm no expert, but I think this is how to do this:

If the reference is to a "section number and title", the title will presumably have appeared where it does with one of the Heading paragraph styles. If so:
o In the footnote, go to Insert | Fields > | Other... | Cross-references.
o Under Type, select Headings.
o Under Selection, select the relevant heading.
o Under "Insert reference to", select Page.
o Insert.
o Close.

If you prefer not to use Heading paragraph styles or you need to refer to some other sort of object, you can simply place a bookmark (Insert | Bookmark...) at the target item. Then "Bookmarks" is another option under Type in the Fields dialogue.

You may need to use Tools | Update | Update All to see the result of changes in pagination immediately, but documents will always open refreshed.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker