Hi :

Further to my last note, I found an interesting note in the faq on:

http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/index16.html

that identified the problem and solutions.

These 2 LO extensions causing me problems both required two packages
that were missing on the clean install of UbuntuStudio 16.04.1 :

default-jre
libreoffice-java-common

Having installed these 2, both extensions can be enabled and appear to
work although time will tell as to how well they work on Writer 5.1.4.2.

It is a bit of a puzzle as to why the 16.04 install did not include any
java stuff. I wonder if it fell out because of the fixation about 'free'
software ?  I suppose one could claim that LO can work perfectly well
without any extensions which require java.

Thanks for your idea, Tom, which started me in the right direction.

Regards,
Philip