I think you just introduced another set of questions.

Is the "&" used for macro substitution?  If so, how does that fit in?

I assume the lowercase n is a shorthand way of defining the variable type (n=number, s=string, etc.), and not part of the formula?

I went to Help with indirect(), not to much avail. I think I am not grasping your solution. Also, how do I assign the variable value, and, in terms of sequential execution, where do I put the assignment so it will be executed before the indirect() function?

Is it executed only once? Meaning, if I jump to a cell with my mouse (manual), is it possible that the indirect() function will fail because the assignment was not reread? (I am thinking in terms of procedural code here (Basic, Pascal, xBase).

John