On 13/07/2016 23:25, Samiur Rahman wrote:

Although unicode has been developed, we don't make full use of it.

Considering that the overwhelming majority of Unicode fonts out here are
geared towards Unicode 5.x, the issue isn't with LibO, but rather, with
the developers of fonts. More specifically, Unicode 6.0 compliance -- a
six year old specification --- is not even on the roadmap for majority
of the font designers.

That said, I did find a couple of Unicode fonts that more or less
conform with Unicode 9.0 specifications. Whilst they sort of worked with
LibO, the inability of LibO to handle Unicode 9 specifications was an
obvious limiting factor. (I don't think that filing a bug in LibO
against that is worth while, because the number of fonts that conform to
Unicode 9.0 criteria can be counted on one hand, and cost a very pretty
penny. (When ThunderBird falls under _The Document Foundation_ umbrella,
that bug can be revisited.))

1. Implement two toolbar boxes "choose language or script" (ie. choose unicode range)

Unicode ranges are neither language specific nor writing system specific.

and a box that says "choose font" that presents all fonts

All fonts?

For the Helvetia typeface, I have 295 fonts.
For Times, I have 205 fonts.
Even a basic nondescript typeface --- Gentium --- has ten fonts.

Listing all fonts is simply going to overwhelm the user. Overchoice. Not
even professional typographers want to see umpteen different fonts,
every time they choose a typeface.

Limit it to typefaces, and you might have something that is usable by
all. Might, because more than 7 options tends to paralyse a person's
ability to make the most appropriate selection for their proposed
use-case.

2. Include all “free” unicode fonts in the office app

All of them?

I don't how many people would tolerate LibO using 50 GB of disk space.

And lets not forget that Win7 will flat out fail to start, because of
"too many installed fonts". Back when I had a Win7 box, I noticed system
degradation, with as few as 500 fonts installed fonts.

Use OOoFont as a template for writing an extension that downloads and
installs all "free" Unicode fonts.

3. Sort out which fonts and unicode fonts support which unicode ranges to implement suggestion

Write an extension that walks through the installed fonts, and displays
typefaces, and the Unicode sub-ranges that they include.

4. Implement a font-installing feature in office apps that allows users to install fonts under
the two boxes

I'm guessing that the point is to enable those who live in Walled
Gardens, to be able to use their usual and standard fonts with LibO.

However, thus far, LibO does not run on any Walled Garden Platforms,
where the user is actively prevented from installing fonts. For the most
popular such Walled Garden, the current app stores rules implicitly
prohibit LibO from being distributed therein.

5. Create a website called “Wiki-unicode” that presents all specialized and non-specialized
unicode fonts

Just what the world needs. Yet another website that claims to list all
known fonts, and the Unicode ranges that they support.

and their license and price

The license accompanying a font depends upon which rights were paid for,
and the duration of those rights. As such, with very few exceptions,
typefaces do not have a single all encompassing license.

My recommendation is to create a set of extensions, each of which does
one thing, but collectively enables users to have the functionality and
capabilities that you are proposing.
Basically, do as the developers of SmartGallery are doing, in their
proposed replacement for Draw.

jonathon