Hi!  I can confirm the issue about Microsoft and WinXP  (no longer supported and affordable).  The
issue rised more protests when users face a 'mandatory' upgrade to the last version of win (more
people complained 'it looked like mandatory to upgrade the system, but when I did, many things
stopped working..').

I am since about 10 years a happy and proud user of Xubuntu (xfce desktop environment). It is
stable, complete and light (X 14.04 runs well on my Intel Centrino pc). Furthermore you can change
wallpaper and icons to make it look like WinXP.  It can be, obviously, used in dual boot with Win.
If you want to give it a try, the best solution is to make 2 partitions: root (for the system) and
home (for data and configuration files); then you can reinstall or change your os, keeping safe
your data and configurations.

LibreOffice is stable and works very well with Xubuntu.  Libreoffice by itself is the natural
choice  of linux makers and partners.

Paolo