At 01:17 AM 5/14/2016, Gordon Cooper wrote:

I take it that the hyperlink remains unchanged regardless of the file being accessed again.

That is correct - I have thousands of PDF hyperlinks without _a in dozens of Writer files that
never change.

It appears to be an issue with the single character.

I strongly expect that it is an issue with filenames that end in _x where "x" is an alpha
character. I have a few hundred PDF filenames hyperlinked in Writer files that end in _n where "n"
is a digit, and those have never been affected in Writer.

Perhaps if you omitted the final underbar so that the link read  8a instead of 8_a. The 'a' could
be deleted when the document is complete, just as you are doing now.

I might try that, but the reason for the underscore is that it makes files still being modified
stand out better in the Writer files and in directory listings.

I know that this does not tell you why this occurs, but it might cure it.

It is not a viable long-term cure because so many filenames and hyperlinks would have to be changed.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net