I have an odd problem with document hyperlinks in Writer, one which I never experienced when using
Open Office or, before that, Word.

I have many Writer files containing hyperlinks to PDF documents on my hard drives. The problem only
occurs when I create a hyperlink to a document still being added to such as
"Dockets_1896-1897_08_a.pdf." The hyperlink looks fine in Writer when I create it, but when I come
back to the Writer file some hours or days later the visible hyperlink has changed to
"Dockets_1896-1897_08 _a .pdf" where the spaces between "08" and "_a" and between "_a" and ".pdf"
are so narrow as to be almost invisible, and where"Dockets_1896-1897_08" "_a" and ".pdf" are three
separate hyperlinks, all with the original destination.

After finishing the additions to the document I change the filename, destination, and hyperlink to
"Dockets_1896-1897_08.pdf" (the "_a" is only there to show that the PDF is not yet complete) and
never again have a problem with that hyperlink. What is puzzling is that only some of the
hyperlinks with the "_a" suffix suffer from this problem - not all of them. Any ideas?

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of http://plymouthcolony.net