Hi Felipe

Felipe T. Dorado wrote
      what category or alternative does LO call when one clicks
      on the "editing image with an external editor"?

I hope some kind soul could point me to the proper email list where to ask
or give some hint as to how to do it.
Since I have come this far with this I'd like to finish it gracefully at
least ; )

Apparently LibreOffice simply opens the image with the program associated to
the image type (could be png, jpg, etc) on your user preferences (at the OS
level)
This means that the menu option is not clear.

In fact the current "Edit with External Tool..." option seems like an
incomplete work. Even if you do Edit the image with the external program,
you will have to reinsert the edited image manually because simply closing
the external editor will not do that (as seems to be implied by the menu
option).

Therefore you have two options: you could consider this a Bug and request
the menu option to be renamed to the more accurate text "Open with
associated external program" OR you could do an Enhancement Request and ask
the developers to add an option to LibreOffice where the user defines the
path to an external editor (e.g. Gimp) which is actually used for editing.

Of course the second option involves a lot more work because it not only
requires to add that option to the Options dialog but would also require
that after editing the image, the modified image would be updated in the
document...

Curiously having an "Edit with External Tool..." option would seem that
there should be an Edit option (where LibreOffice's own Draw would used as
the logical Internal Tool)

Maybe in the future?

In any case, the place to report bugs or request enhancements is at
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice

Hope this helps...
Pedro