I use GIMP as default editor on all but Windows 10 systems. For some reason I cannot get GIMP to work/open on Win10, so I use Paint Shop Pro X4 or X5 as default.

On Ubuntu 16.04 and MATE desktop, I find the needed option at
      System/Preferences/Personal/Preferred Applications

I tend to do all my image editing out side of LO, as in edit the image before I use it within the document. If I need to do more editing, then I go back to GIMP - with the image still queued up - and then reload the newly edited image. Right now, on the task bar, I have 3 Firefox tasks listed [with 12+/- tabs listed with them] Thunderbird email, GIMP, Caja file manager, and a few utility packages. I do not use multiple "workspaces".

Since I use Writer to create posters/signs that do not need an illustrator package like Inkscape, this works well for me. I make, and self print, posters/signs up to 13x19 inches [largest page size for HP Officejet 7000]. When I do larger ones, then I export to PDF and have a local print shop do those banners.

Actually I do a lot of posters, signs, brochures, etc. for two local organizations - sometimes 3 or 4 needed with only a few hours notice. So, I tend to try to make "things" as easy as possible.