On 07/02/2016 01:51 PM, Pat Brown wrote:
I was sending a cal document to be printed but the print never went through
and LO hung. I had to close LO down. When I restarted LO I got the message
that there was a file that needed to be recovered. I instructed to start
recovery but it went into working mode and never came out. It is not a big
file and should not have taken more than a couple of minutes to recover. I
shut down and tried again a couple of times but without success. On
searching for that particular file I found two references. The file is
called "Invoices.ods". I also found "Invoices.ods.lnk" and
".~lock.Invoices.ods#". If I delete these last two will that release the
file for recovery or will I be causing trouble by doing so? Are there any
other options I can try? And if anyone says "go to backups"  I will choke.
I had just made a large number of changes to the file and had not had an
opportunity to do a backup. Hope someone has a solution. Paddy

It is surprizing that you have not had any response(s) yet.

Treat anything I suggest with caution, as I am no expert.

It looks as if you have three "Invoices" references, not two.

You say that you haven't made a recent backup, but have you SAVED your file in the form in which you hope it to be? If not, you may be lost.

The "~lock" file is there to indicate that the file is ostensibly in use by some application. These "lock" files often get left behind when they should have been automatically closed.

If by "shutting down" you mean that you have rebooted, as seems probable, then you can blithely erase that "lock" file, and that's the first thing I would try.

If you haven't rebooted, you can probably still erase it without adverse consequences, but that situation might call for a little more thought, such as assuring that some instance of calc is not running in some hidden fashion.

Your "invoices.ods" file is the one that holds your spreadsheet. It wouldn't be a bad idea to copy it to one or more safe places, just in case something goes wrong with your recovery experiments.

The ".lnk" file is probably a "shortcut" to allow loading the calc programme, and that particular spreadsheet file, all with one click. It should have no negative effects, and I would leave it be.

Let us hope that someone with more assured authority weighs in.