Charles wrote:

> No need to apologize but perhaps to discern what may have happened
there. As an avid Emacs Org-Mode user, I think I can sympathize with
your problem. What I read from this issue is that some of the people who
reacted to it did not feel your case was strong and could not even be
called a bug. My opinion (again, someone who does not use LibreOffice as
an outliner):

> 1. Your suggestion may make mathematical sense but it will confuse 99%
of users out there. People are used to numbering conventions in
documents that may not be the same one as academic papers or numbering
logic. It's a broad perception, not a statement on your mathematics. If
we were to "fix" the numbering, we would get 10 bug reports tomorrow
yelling that we're idiots and should revert back to what everybody else
uses.
> 2. Are you sure you're not missing out on text editors' outlining
capabilities compared to LibreOffice (or any other office suite)?
LibreOffice is good for taking notes of course, but perhaps not to
outline different levels of notes imho.

Thanks for your response to my outlining concerns. I agree that other editors do outlining better than LO. I mentioned in my bug report that LaTeX gets it "right," (as I define "right") as does ReStructuredText and Markdown. I've been playing with Emacs and really want to like it, but it's just soooo different than anything else I've used. I've heard of its Org-Mode and may try it.

I teach college courses and create chapter outlines that I save as HTML files for display on a projector in class. I prefer this to Presentation or Powerpoint displays. I've wanted to use LO for this task as I like minimizing the number of programs I use. But, LO's outline numbering and HTML export just aren't up to what I'm trying to achieve. The best solution I've found is GEdit with its ReStructuredText plugin. It's quick, fairly simple, and gives me the numbering I want. With so many other systems getting the numbering right, I just naturally concluded that LO's treatment was "wrong," which prompted my bug report. I confess to being somewhat disappointed that nobody seemed interested in exploring why it is that LaTeX numbers outlines differently than LO, but I can understand your concern about receiving "dueling" bug reports.

I've experimented further with LO and found at least three different ways of numbering an outline. Unfortunately, the one that works the best in terms of getting the numbering I want is the most cumbersome to apply. So, I'll stick with ReStructuredText and GEdit and/or Emacs.

Thanks again for your kind interest in a fellow user's concern.

Virgil