Virgil Arrington wrote:
I'm beginning to think there is a definite bug here.

I just renamed my user profile, and opened a brand new document using
the default template. I then experimented with the following steps.

Step 1: I setup three outline styles. I then typed the name of the
styles and applied the appropriate outline level to each line:

1 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3

So far so good.

Step 2: I then demoted the second line to outline level three and
promoted the third line to outline level two (without changing text on
each line) and got the following:

1 Heading 1
1.1.1 Heading 2  [actually Heading 3 paragraph style]
1.2 Heading 3     [actually Heading 2 paragraph style]

Step 3: Then, out of curiosity, I applied the "Default Style" to the
second line and got the following:

1 Heading 1
Heading 2        [actually "Default Style"]
1.1 Heading 3

Step 4: I then reapplied Heading 3 to the second line and got the
following:

1 Heading 1
1.1.1 Heading 2  [actually Heading 3 paragraph style]
1.1 Heading 3     [actually Heading 2 paragraph style]

Notice that the third line did *not* change to 1.2 as it did in the
second step. It remained 1.1

That does seem inconsistent with Step 2. Worth checking if it happens with the latest version and then filing a bug report I think, if it's not already reported.

Step 5: I then hit Ctrl-z (undo) several times to get back to Step 3,
and when I got there, I got the following:

1 Heading 1
Heading 2        [actually "Default Style"]
1.2 Heading 3

Notice that the third line is now 1.2 instead of 1.1 as it was in Step
3. (I noticed I could get the same result if, after Step 4, I promoted
the second line to outline level 2 and then immediately demoted it again
to outline level 3.

I've noticed undo seems to be a bit flaky lately, in that it doesn't always return everything to how it was. It's as if performing some action triggers other things to happen, and undo reverses the action but not the side-effects. Things like that should probably be reported as bugs.

LO definitely doesn't like it when one applies outline levels out of
order, but that is not uncommon in writing. I often use outlines like
the following:

1. Heading 1

     A. Normal text (outline level 6)

         i. Normal text (outline level 7)

1.x Heading 2

     A. Normal text (outline level 6)

         i. Normal text (outline level 7)

In short, I think LO is confused on outline numbering. Or else, I'm
confused in how to set them up and use them.

I'm not much of an expert, but I suspect that's not how outline numbering is intended to be used. I think it's more like for chapters in a text book, where you wouldn't have a Chapter 3 followed by Chapter 3.x.1 without having a Chapter 3.1 in between. The outline numbering can then be used to create the table of contents (which wouldn't usually include your "Normal text" paragraphs).

The only way I know to setup an outline hierarchy is through "Tools"
"Outline Numbering" which only allows one outline hierarchy at a time.
So I have to set up both my Headings and Normal text outline levels in
one place. But, this requires that I use them out of order as I mix
headings and normal text together.

I think list styles should do what you want for the "normal text" sections. Use the Heading X styles and outline numbering for your headings, and create a list style for applying the A, i numbering to your normal text. On the list style settings, look into the Outline tab, which has preset styles for multi-level lists, pick one which is close to what you want and then tweak it on the Options tab.

Virgil