On Sunday 04 Oct 2015 19:02:45 Brian Barker wrote:
At 17:54 04/10/2015 +0100, you wrote:
How is the autosave supposed to work?

Slightly differently from how you imagine, it seems.

so it would seem.  i assumed that it had always saved the file in the past.

I've got my set to save every 4 minutes so i rarely press "Save".

I'm not sure that makes any sense. First, the time setting is
basically for saving AutoRecovery information, which is not the same
as saving the document. Do you have "Automatically save the document
too" ticked? If not, your document file will not be being updated and
you will need to save the document periodically.
I thought that was the save the document as i'm sure that what it used to be.
i don't have "Automatically save the document too" question anywhere on the
"Load/Save/General" options page

I just had a situation where i have made some changes, left the
machine for an hour or so without saving or closing, ...

This is probably unwise, of course. A power surge or power outage
could cause problems, as could mistaken behaviour by another person,
an error by you when you returned, or many other things. Hopefully
you would normally at least save the document explicitly before
taking the break.
i will do in future until i work out how to use the autosave

... came back to the machine and closed Writer. It didn't ask me to
save but it crashed as it closed. I reloaded it and selected the
file that was open to be recovered. It recovered the file but an
older version of it, should it not have recovered the contents that
were on the screen that should have been autosaved every 4 minutes
during that hour the document was still open?

I suspect probably not. I'm guessing, but I don't see it as obvious
that either the AutoRecovery information or the file itself would be
saved every four minutes if - as would be the case - no changes had
been made. So possibly only one save would be made after you last
made a change.
it certainly didn't as it was not autosaving the whole document.

o If you do not have "Automatically save the document too" ticked,
where is this question in the Options?

the crash must have occurred before you were challenged to save the
document. The recovery information would refer to a point somewhat
before you last saved the document - so not including the most recent
edits. Solution: save the document before taking your meal break.

o If you do have "Automatically save the document too" ticked, you
will have a perfect version of the document in its original location
and have no need for the recovery information. Solution: either
reject the recovery process or accept it but do not save the result
over the existing file; either discard it or else save it as a
separate file (under a new name). Reopen the original document for
the current version.

And..  why does the copy and paste work ...

Why does copy and paste work? Er, it's meant to! Do you perhaps mean
why does it *not* work?

... where you use the mouse to highlight and paste it? It works with
ctrl-c, ctrl-v ok.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are only how you paste after you have selected the
relevant text to copy and potentially to replace, of course. What
other method are you referring to? (There are many techniques.) Edit
on the linux desktop, you can highlight the text with the mouse and just paste
it somewhere else with a button click, no need to ctrl-c, ctrl-v

| Copy and Edit | Paste (and so on) should work. So should

right-click | Copy and right-click | Paste. Or do you mean something
using a third mouse button that your operating system supplies (or
fails to)? There is some suggestion on the web that the paste
function works but not the copy one for some versions of LibreOffice.
yep, its been working randomly over the years.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately