At 13:45 22/05/2015 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
In LibreOffice Writer, not the umbrella LibreOffice program, I select Tools>Options to bring up the Options dialog box. I expand the LibreOffice Writer section, and select Basic Fonts (Western). In the larger right pane, I change the top one--Default and change that to Bookman Old Style 11 point. I make sure not to check "Current document only" and then click OK.

Good: so you've selected a new font to be the *default* font for *new documents* only.

Yet, every document I've saved as plain text always opens to Courier 10.

Such text is given the Preformatted Text paragraph style, and this indeed has a fixed-pitch font. You can achieve alternative results in a number of ways:

o Open the plain text file in a plain text editor and copy and paste the text into LibreOffice Writer. You will see your new default font.

o Open as you are doing, copy the Courier text, and paste into a new document using Paste Special... and Unformatted text. Ditto.

o Use Open With (or whatever your operating system calls this) outside LibreOffice to open the file; select the font in the ASCII Filter Options dialogue.

If I open a blank document it will open to Bookman Old Style 11 point.

Good.

If I then save a plain text document (In Libre Writer) with the Bookman Old Style 11 point, ...

Selection of a font is an aspect of formatting, of course. You cannot save a document as plain text and expect it to retain any of its formatting. The saved plain text file is just that: plain.

... close it and then reopen it the document still opens to Courier 10.

Good.

Has anyone experienced and solved this issue?

Surely everyone will experience the same behaviour - though not see it as an "issue"? The solution is to save any document that you want to retain its formatting in a file format that permits this. How about .odt?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker