I've been running Ubuntu since 8.10, and have had every version though
14.04. Since 14.10 had minimal changes and since 14.04 is a Long Term
Service release, I didn't upgrade to 14.10. Every version has been the
standard, including all of the versions with Unity. All have had cups
installed in the standard install. I almost always have done clean
installs, and not upgrades.

Don