The time required to brute force a solution can be reduced if:
* The length of the password is known;
* Part of the password is known;
* Which glyphs the password uses are known;

This issue comes up often enough, that I'm surprised I can't find an
open source tool to brute force ODF passwords. It is a straightforward
algorithm.

Guess_password
Throw_at_document
If fails Guess_password
If success read_document

Guess_password is simply repeat until loops.

If you're motivated, here's a piece of code that attempt a very poor
bruteforce, but have all the pieces needed to make a real brute-force app.
(disclaimer: this is like the monster from frankenstein, I cut & pasted
code from all around the web, as I have zero knowledge about Java bindings
for UNO).
http://pastebin.com/cQJnA8F6

​It will try to open a file located at e:\test.odt, and use passwords from
"tota", "totb", "totc"... to "tott" (more or less). Still, it is probably
very easy to change it so that it use proper, parametrized passwords
guess​, and have some form of UI. If no one else look into this, I might
give it a go.

(for this stub to work, you need a running instance of libreoffice started
with the command line "$ soffice.exe -accept=socket,host=0,port=2002;urp;")
It is 100% possible to integrate this better, in a way that would
automatically launch an invisible instance of LibreOffice. In fact the
first SDK sample does this, but as I run a 64-bit version of Java, I had to
go this way. YMMV.

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net