On 23/11/14 02:25, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

Given the nature the information and their standing as a title authority,

I'm making a guess here, but that sentence implies that the firm not
only has to have current boundaries, but also former boundaries of the
property in question, and be able to explain why those boundaries appear
to have, and in some cases really did change.

The primary change is our building together more detailed information
about properties that we had in the past and do it more accurately.

I don't know what country you are in.

Several decades ago, I had the experience of being tasked with finding
the current, legal boundaries of some property the company I worked for
wanted to foreclose on. The boundary line, according to the title deed
was "Westward from Mama's grave to the three elm trees. John's property
begins at the first tree. Jane's property begins at the third tree."
Needless to say, no survey map, or government database said where Mama's
grave was. Equally helpful was the lack of elm trees on any of the
properties in question.

I can imagine the issues a Title company would have, to prove to a
hostile jury that the property being foreclosed upon, and the property
described in the title deed are the same property.

Instead of foreclosing on the property, we sold that mortgage to a sucker.

I think they're also changing legal requirements on titles with
regards to title searches and their validity. Fortunately, those changes
are very very slow.

Doesn't matter how slow they are. When implemented, the relevant data
has to be added to every parcel, and sub-parcel.

(Here's looking at a parcel of land that the Attorney General of the
State of Arizona, and the Attorney General of the State of Utah told a
judge that he has had ten years to determine who originally owned what,
and where it was located, and that that should be enough time to
determine who owned what, and where it was located, and when they owned
it, and he needs to finish that job yesterday.(In all fairness to the
judge, before that property fell into the courts, the organization that
claimed to own it, probably did own it, even if there are no official
records to show how they acquired it, or when they acquired it, or what
they acquired.))

I know enough about their world there to consider walking away from
this contract because of the internal bickering.
I probably just described the best reason for walking away. :-)

Or the best reason to add a couple of more zeros just to the left of the
decimal point.

I was trying to close out the matrix and see if I could use beast to
replace the report and data entry tools now lost to Informix.

Using Base and MongoDB as an Informix clone will require writing, and
supporting several extensions for Base.

I really do wish I SQL would go the way of COBOL.

Intrinsically, there is nothing wrong with either COBOL or SQL.
The problem is that people who use those tools tend to suffer from the
computing equivalent of extreme monolingualism, thereby demonstrating
the validity of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English