Howdy,
        Thanks Andreas. You put me on the right path.

        Saving template files and basing master doc on that template and hoping for
the best in sub-docs when the template file is changes does not work out.

        But, using template manager extension, saving and managing a template under
that extension, editing the template, and re-applying the template to
previously created docs does work. And that is good enough for me.

And since you asked: why am I using master doc & sub docs?
Well, I’m new. That just seemed like the best fit when I read the Writer
help guide. I’m not confident this is the best strategy, and I’m open to
other ideas.
My goal is to share a chapter (or a chapter part) with a peer / review group
in email. So I want that doc to be a standalone doc each week. Then I’ll
incorporate suggested edits and move on to next chapter (or chapter part).
I’ll be the author of the entirety of the book, so having multiple authors
is a non-goal for me.
I’m only into chapter 3 so far… so just starting out. I expect my book to
get quite long. Perhaps “Lord of the Rings” would serve as an upper bound to
the scale (I will not write something that large)… 500,000 words, 60ish
chapters, 3 books with 2 parts each.

Ricky Charlet
---
deserve neither liberty nor safety.