I think freeze and split windows are intended for scrolling around large table of data, for example to keep heading and total rows and columns in view. So they keep the rows in the views next to each lined up so the headings match the data. But as I understand it, you want to break that coupling, so you can scroll the left side up and down without the right side moving. I don't think that's possible, although it may be an interesting feature request. As it happens, I have a similar sheet where I'm continually adding new data to the bottom of the table and have a chart to the right of it, but I just move the chart down the sheet as more data is added.

Another possibility is use Window > New Window to open a second window of the same document, then arrange the two windows on screen as you want. Changes in one window are reflected in the other (it's the same document, not a copy). But I don't think that arrangement is saved so you'd have to set the windows up each time you open the file, which may or may not work for you. It may be possible to use a macro to automate opening a second window and positioning it, but I'm not sure of the details for that and may not work too well if someone with a different size screen opens it.

A couple of things which I don't think are quite what you want, but mention in case they do the trick or inspire other ideas...

Place the cursor in F1 before selecting Window > Split or Window > Freeze. But the two halves would scroll together vertically; you'll only be able to scroll them separately horizontally.

You can also split both horizontally and vertically at the same time by first positioning the cursor somewhere in the middle of the sheet (e.g. F20) then Window > Split. But again the two parts next to each other horizontally would be kept in sync when scrolling vertically, and the two parts stacked vertically would be kept in sync when scrolling horizontally. So you'd end up with only the lower left part available for scrolling around your data. If you scrolled the top left part vertically, or the lower right part horizontally, it would also scroll your chart in the top right out of view. (Hope that all makes sense... if not just try it and see what happens!)

Mark.

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Is it possible to freeze the left and right parts of a spreadsheet (as
opposed to the upper and lower parts, which I know you can do)?

Thanks

Andrew

On 26 October 2014 20:06, Andrew Sullivan <andrew.t.sullivan@gmail.com>