Anyone ever encountered this?

I finally decided to convert a few of our PDF forms into PDF fillable
forms, and thought this was going to be easy.

No luck with the existing documents, so I tried with a brand new blank
writer document...

I open the Form Controls Toolbar, but when I try to drag one of the
fields, it just doesn't work.

Yes, Design Mode is enabled, and the fields are not greyed out like they
are when Design Mode is disabled - they look 'active, and if I mouse
over them the tooltip appears, and if I click on them they react - but
dragging them off of the toolbar to the document does nothing...