On 2014-09-01 06:54, Jim Seymour wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:41:44 +1200
Steve Edmonds <steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com> wrote:

[snip]
Did you notice the permissions and owner on the server of the older
files and newer ones. Did the permissions change when you copied
the files. There is also a tick box in options>General to use LO
open/save dialogue boxes. I don't know if that changes anything.
[snip]

The originals had owner execute permissions, whereas the copies did
not.  The copies ended up with current modification dates.
Otherwise permissions and every other aspect of directory and files
were unchanged.

Hi.
Some guff follows, but it would be interesting to see if the owner executable made a difference if its somehow got mixed in with DOS compatibility settings. Another possibility might be to ask on the devs list how network file access in LO may differ from what you find is working for other files. I have this vague recollection on our server 2 machines ago (older version samba) that I could open a LO file by double clicking in the file browser but not in the LO file open dialogue, or vice versa. Or may be it was I could open a file on a network share mounted locally but not by browsing the network. This all came right when I updated the server and started with cifs.
Steve

Note that there is no bit to specify that a file is executable. DOS and Windows NT filesystems identify executable files by giving them the extensions .EXE, .COM, .CMD, or .BAT.

Consequently, there is no use for any of the three Unix executable bits that are present on a file in a Samba disk share. DOS files, however, have their own attributes that need to be preserved when they are stored in a Unix environment: the archive, system, and hidden bits. Samba can preserve these bits by reusing the executable permission bits of the file on the Unix side - if it is instructed to do so. Mapping these bits, however, has an unfortunate side-effect: if a Windows user stores a file in a Samba share, and you view it on Unix with the |ls| |-al| command, some of the executable bits won't mean what you'd expect them to.

Three Samba options decide whether the bits are mapped: |map| |archive|, |map| |system |, and |map| |hidden|. These options map the archive, system, and hidden attributes to the owner, group, and world execute bits of the file, respectively. You can add these options to the |[data]| share, setting each of their values as follows:

[data]
        path = /home/samba/data
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writeable = yes
        map archive = yes
        map system = yes
        map hidden = yes

After that, try creating a file in the share under Unix - such as |hello.java| - and change the permissions of the file to 755. With these Samba options set, you should be able to check the permissions on the Windows side and see that each of the three values has been checked in the Properties dialog box. What about the read-only attribute? By default, Samba 2.0 sets this whenever a file does not have the Unix owner write permission bit set. In other words, you can set this bit by changing the permissions of the file to 555.

We should warn you that the default value of the |map| |archive| option is |yes|, while the other two options have a default value of |no|. This is because many programs do not work properly if the archive bit is not stored correctly for DOS and Windows files. The system and hidden attributes, however, are not critical for a program's operation and are left to the discretion of the administrator.