On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Paul wrote:

Quick question, Felmon, do you have to do this for all mails from this
list, both Tom's and mine, or just for mails like the ones from Tom?

I would have to look more deeply into the configuration of alpine to check settings but I'll note that

a) replies to all emails from this list require my manual tender loving care, all of them whether from Tom or from you.

b) on another list I get an option to reply to the poster or reply to the list.

I'll dig later to see what the difference is in the configuration - I have separate configuration files. I do recall that once it used to work the same on both lists. (nonetheless in the meantime I may have fiddled with the settings also.)

F.

From a *brief* google, it seems that the List-* headers may legally
be other than email addresses, so some mail clients, I gather Alpine is
one, don't use them at all for replies, instead replying to the From
field. Other mail clients, like Thunderbird and apparently Claws Mail,
do use them, at least when they are email addresses or mailto URLs, to
reply to the list.

So, as I understand it:

Alpine is technically correct, in that it cannot *rely* on the List-*
headers for replies. Though arguably it should do this when these
headers do give a valid email address.

The list is technically correct, in that it shouldn't enforce Reply-To
header rewriting to *force* all mails to go back to the list, and
instead provides the List-* headers as per the RFC. Though arguably it
would be fine to overwrite the Reply-To header, because it changes the
default to be a reply to the list, and users can override that if they
want, rather than the current situation with non-smart mail clients,
which is the reverse.

Thunderbird et. al. are practically correct, in that the List-* headers
often do contain a valid email address, and can be used for replying to
the list, which is what people want most of the time.

The best solution, obviously, would be to extend the relevant RFC to
include a List-Reply header that is mandated to be the valid email
address of the list for replies, such that mail clients can use it to
provide smart replies. Of course, this means extending an RFC, and then
waiting for all email clients to update to include the new behaviour.

Maybe someone who knows this stuff could comment further, I'm just
starting to understand it myself. I've heard the debate on the list
before about what the list should and shouldn't do, but I never really
understood it, because some mails worked correctly and some didn't. I'm
only now getting the hang of this, and I can't remember what all has
been said before (and I can't really be bothered to go look it up and
raise it all again).

Basically, for me things work, unless someone sends mails that are
addressed to me personally and only CCd to the list, which I feel is
the wrong behaviour from a mail client, although the issue of why
some mail clients do that seems to be technical.

But technically, neither the list nor the mail client are *wrong*. In
practice it seems either one could be changed, although it is probably
more a mail client fault than a list fault, or at least so it seems to
me.

Paul

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:56:55 -0400 (EDT)