On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 18:00:31 PM +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

Keep using LibreOffice?  That way you are not exactly breaking their
ruling just bending it a bit.

If you get a file that is clearly a bit messed up, from a tutor, ask
them which version of MSO they are using because your version
doesn't seem to read it properly (omitting to say your version is
not actually MSO).  Ask them to File - "Save As ..."
If the file was from a student then do about the same...

nothing personal, of course, but this whole line of thought and
suggestions seems more and more pointless as the thread continues.
This would be evident to anybody who had taken the time to check the
tutoring FAQ as I did yesterday and/or to search online for "tutor.com
classroom software" as I did now, thus finding, among others, this
thread:

and this technical description
http://www.russellgreenspan.com/software/The_Tutor.com_Classroom.pdf

which both confirm my initial hypothesis, that there must be little or
nothing "Save as" in "independent" office suites in that scenario,
because a tutor.com classroom is something that totally happens inside
THEIR software, which relies on 30 pages of Microsoft-specific
technologies to integrate everything tightly.

My own feeling (since yesterday, and the other links I found today
confirm it) is that the support for this or that file format, or
macros, in and by itself counts almost nothing, as in "you may very
well do or create homework in OpenOffice, as long as you eventually
copy and paste everything in MS Office, because that is the ONLY way
to pass it back and forth student and tutor that can be handled
(=monitored for quality control and billing) by the "Tutor.com
classroom software".

          Marco
--
M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net