[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes
- From: Dan <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:33:22 -0400
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 12.06.2012 21:08, Dan wrote:OK, I see I was not explicit enough. The tables I use for list boxes always contain only ONE field using VCHAR as the field type. There are no repetitions in this field, so all values entered are DISTINCT.
To populate a list or combo box, I have been using single field tables.
Seems like it should be possible to use a single table for more than one
list or combo box. (The SQL statement for selecting a field for a list
or combo box is: SELECT "field name" FROM "table name".) Has anyone
tried this before? Any problems doing this?
In a combo box you "always" want:
SELECT DISTINCT "Field" FROM "Table" ORDER BY "Field"
In a list box you "always" want:
SELECT "Field or Concatenation", "Primary Key"
ORDER BY "Field or Concatenation"
Data field=The form's foreign key
[Example] Relations reflected by list boxes in forms
The benefits I get from this are:
1) If I enter a new value in the field, close the table, and open it again; the entries have rearranged themselves alphabetically.
2) The entries always appear in alphabetically order in the list box after clicking the refresh tool in the form.
3) Field A has been replaced with a list box (i.e., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) in a form. (The table for this contains one field whose values are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.) When field A appears in a report, the only values showing are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
If I were to use a table having two fields: ID, Day (i.e., 1,2,3 for ID & Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday for Day); the form has shown the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday values while the reports show 1, 2, 3. Obviously, more has to be included in the SQL than what I wrote in the beginning. But with the limiting structure of my tables for list boxes do not require anything more.
For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
|[libreoffice-users] List and Combo boxes||Dan <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|[libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes||Andreas Säger <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] creating new master template
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes
- Previous by thread: [libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes
- Next by thread: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: List and Combo boxes