On (15:07 09/12/11), Don C. Myers <donmyers@myersfarm.com> put forth the proposition:

On 12/09/2011 02:53 PM, David Woodfall wrote:
I've noticed a very slow startup time. I'm using 3.4.4 and I found
this post that suggests that somehow LO is trying to do something with
the network up, and turning off networking speeds it up:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22693

I've tried this and it is indeed the case. Can someone explaing what
LO is trying to when there's an interface up? And also how to fix it?

I know about quick starter so please don't suggest that. This IMO is a
bug.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

This solved the issue for me. I had problems with 3.3.0, and did this back then, and do it with every new install I do:

*Change hosts setting in hosts file for LibreOffice:*
In terminal, do gksudo gedit /etc/hosts
You will see the following:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 galaxy

Add a line so it looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 galaxy
127.0.0.1 galaxy localhost galaxy.(none)
5) save
6) now OpenOffice.org Writer and Calc open fast when the network connection is attached.

This does indeed work for a blank calc sheet, but opening a file on
the command line is still very slow. It's actually faster to open the
office main app, enable quickstarter, close office main app, load the
file. (Or just load it from the normal file list.)

--
Studioware
http://www.studioware.org