Hi :)
Oracle seem to have been treating this community as a competitor since before the split away from
OpenOffice.  Apparently there have been a lot of attempts at co-operating with them but Oracle tend
to refuse to respond.  Both normal Java and openJDK are run by Oracle.  The LO devs have been
writing out Java dependence but that is trickier in Base.

It's possible to install Java version _21 alongside other versions and then get only LO to use the
_21.  The web-browsers and other stuff will pick-up on the newer version automatically but you can
force LO to use the _21 by clicking on

Tools - Options - LibreOffice/General - Java

and then all versions of java that are installed should appear so just select the _21.

Note that some people say it's the older version and therefore unsafe but it's more recent than
ones that appear on many systems, for example Ubuntu 10.04 LTS uses version _20.

Also, the newer ones that are supposedly safer will doubtless be found to be deeply flawed and are
probably suffering security exploits right now that we will only hear about later.  It seems that
the only java that is really safe is one that is not installed anywhere.

Just my 2cents!
Regards from
Tom :)