Your use case is very practical and very desirable.

And yes, producing a single-file ODF document (XML format) would work
great for similar applications, including creation of feature-test
documents, etc.

There are major practical reasons why the single-file XML format
is not the default format.  It is odd that it is not a supported
format, however, especially for input.

I believe there were, at some point, separate transform scripts that
could be added to OpenOffice.org to accomplish input and output of
the single-file format.  I don't know where those are and if they
still work.

It is an useful thing to research. I will dig into my files, but
I am not hopeful.

Keep asking around.

 - Dennis