Bruce Carlson wrote:

Sending an .xls version and asking the person on the other end to keep the
document in that format is a valid point and can be substantiated by the
fact that even different versions of MSO have trouble reading each other's
version of .xlsx formats. Try swapping an .xlsx document with complex
formulae between office 2003 and office 2010. Sometimes it might work.
Trying to coerce or force others into using international standards
instead
of MS standards will have a negative effect in the acceptance of these
international standards.

For increasing the awareness and take up of LO in business, the best
results
I've had is by pointing out the extra functionality of LO that can't be
provided by MSO, such as the ability to load and modify and re-save .pdf
documents. This has been a big selling point in my organisation with
around
twenty new users this year already. (only 380 users to go) The biggest
obstacle I have in promoting LO is younger IT staff who tried Open Office
several years ago during their uni days and have been scared off from
trying
later versions by repeated and continuing MS propaganda.

I find the same attitude towards GIMP. Today I had our Helpdesk manager
call
GIMP unusable rubbish. I asked him what his preferred Microsoft
alternative
was and when did he last try GIMP. No answer, was the stern reply. :-)

(e-letter's use of the $ sign in M$ is quite amusing and to the point.)

cheers,

Bruce Carlson

If I know I'm going to be working with older versions of Office I will use
the 2003 format for things, however the newer version of the format not only
produces smaller file sizes but is extractable (2007+ formats are basically
.zip files which can be useful at times). In practice I can't comment much
on Excel since I haven't used it much myself, but when I was working as IT
support for a number of schools we'd sometimes encounter a mix of 2003/2007
installations (the 2003 ones with the compatibility pack for 2007 formats),
and no-one complained.

I must admit though I've never been aware of the fact you can actually EDIT
PDFs in LibreOffice. That's a damn nice feature that I'm sure to remember
now, thanks! Maybe it needs to be marketed more that this feature even
exists, since there aren't many free alternatives that work quite as well
for editing PDFs.

As for the GIMP, it's finally managed to replace my pirated version of
Photoshop the moment version 2.7.3 was released (the version which now has
stable single-window mode). Things are looking up.