I have an old spreadsheet in ODS format. The file was originally an XLS file then converted to ODS format several years ago *and* has been used weekly over that period without any problems.

When I try an delete a sheet from the file I get an error "Error saving the document FILE: Write Error. The file could not be written."

If, prior to attempting the sheet removal, I change the contents of a cell the file is saved without any problems.

When the error occurs the saving progress bar appears, moves to ~20% completion stops for several seconds, then progresses to ~80% completion at normal saving speed, stops again for several seconds then crashes. This is in contrast to a normal save where the progress bar moves at a constant rate for the entire saving process.

If I attempt to insert a sheet I get the same problem.

*I should point out* here that the sheet being deleted and inserted are mid-file, that is I have 18 tabs and I am trying to delete sheet 7. When I insert a sheet I am inserting after sheet 7 or 8 (does not really matter).

What I have noticed is if I use the 'add sheet' tab -- that is the last tab with the green '+' sign instead of the name to add a sheet; a sheet can be added and the document saved. This same sheet can be deleted, although the progress bar behaves as if the error is going to happen, that is it pauses at 20% and 80% completion; except this time it finishes without the error dialog appearing.

My tests indicate that the last sheet of the original untouched file can be deleted. Like above the progress bar behaves an unusual way but does complete without the error dialog appearing.

I can not reproduce the error on a new clean file.

If I work back through the historical copies of the file, I can only reproduce the error in this years version. It is as if the file has become partially corrupted. The question is how and can it be easily fixed.

Before I spend the time recreating the file from scratch or modifying one of the old backups...

*Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar problem?*

*Anyone got some ideas?*

*Is it worth upgrading LibreOffice?*

I am running LibreOffice 3.4.1 OOO340m1 (Build:103) on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The java version used is Sun Microsystems Inc. 1.6.0_26, although I have also checked and verified the problem occurs on 1.6.0_20 (which just happened to be on the system).

LibreOffice was manually installed from downloaded DEB files *not* installed from the LibreOffice PPA repository or the Ubuntu Software Centre.

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Principal Consultant