Am 12.07.2011, 01:17 Uhr, schrieb planas <jslozier@gmail.com>:
An alternative is to use Base. I have been thinking on these lines so I
will look into it more.

I am using base for my literature database, but it has serious drawbacks. You can use the built-in LO literature database (which isn't portable), or you can set up a new one, which will let you include stuff you think is useful but not conetained in the original. You can register that as a data source and start using it, but as soon as you want to edit any entry from within writer, it will tell you that it can't associate the db entries with the properties the literature module expects. So what I did was copy the existing db, add a few more fields and work with that, but I still had to re-asiciate all the db categories anew. And even though I stored it in the same directory as the document I used it for, if I copy that directory elswehere, the game starts anew. If I change one of the entries in the db, I have to remove the citation from the document and re-insert it before it updates in the literature index. If you have cited it multiple times and you misclick once, be prepared for additional fun.

Ok, so aside from ranting about stuff I haven't done myself and should be thankful for instead of criticizing: What should be doable (I speculate) is to construct something that will import bibtex into the OO-database, maybe even link the database to a bitex file (or several)? So if you change your bibtex file, the db will update, including establishing new categories, properties and the like. What should also be done is improve the literature workflow. There is certainly something to improve there.

I do not use a plugin for citations because I prefer to have all done within one program (actually If I restarted my current project right now, I'd probably use a plugin, but now most of the stuff is in LO's database, and I won't undo that), and would welcome not having to copy/paste bibtex entries into the literature DB by hand. I'll also welcome any improvement of LO's bibliography module.

 Zak