This is the very first thing I changed - but you do need a work around

tools > options > LibreOffice Writer >

General > change Measurement to "Inch" and change Tab Stops to "0.5"
View> Both Horizontal & Vertical rulers should now say "Inch"

There are unfortunately 2 problems you are now faced with

1) There are no default page settings (there should be, but there isn't)

So you need to click out of Options and go back to your default page
Change your page settings to as you choose (1" & A4) then save as "a template" - as a test I saved as "one inch.ott"

Close down the document. and you should be back to the front page.

now click on

File > Recent Documents > "one inch" - which is as good as I could get this work around.

If you now try to save the page, "save" is blanked out (which is good) forcing you now "save as" your new name "new doc_1.odt" - do not forget to change it from *.ott to *.odt (the default should come up as *.odt, but comes up as *.ott which is bad) as you do not want to save every document as a template when you are in a hurry.

Aside:- I did try to open the "one inch" template from within File > new > templates & docs

Now whilst it could see "one inch" only by by clicking on organise but I could find no way to open it - which is the 2nd problem if you want to open it this way, you will always have to use > Recent Documents <

John B