I do just that, and think it is excellent advice. You never know what you might need.
When my download directory gets "high" enough to fill a DVD, I move them all to a
DVD. I have several download DVD's going back 6-8 years. Seems like I have OO going
back to 1. something. I have many versions of the same programs.
Roxy

May I humbly suggest that, since we live in an uncertain world (well...I
do, anyway), that you would do well to set up a "software archive"
directory on your hard drive, and download all software to that
location. Install from there. Then, keep one copy of the previous
version, just in case. I know, you'll never need it...except I have, of
several programs I depend on. For example, I just had to remove my usual
Google Chrome beta and reinstall stable, due to emergent errors of
uncertain origin which I have NO time to track down. Gotta keep movin'
you know...

You also have to allow for the possibility that download isn't available
just now, for various reasons. Having a previous version plus current
version install module on your HD is great insurance.

t.