Hi :)
That is worth posting a bug-report about
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

Obviously it's better practice to minimise the number of things that
automatically start at boot-up but users can be a bit strange sometimes and we
should be able to cater to that.

FireFox or almost any other web-browser tends to be much more robust, safer and
faster.  I've not tried IE9 yet, nor FF4 so things might have radically
changed.  Also Firefox tends to look similar across releases whereas IE keeps
changing quite dramatically without changing it's under-laying security flaws in
any helpful way.  So, once people have got past the initial terrors of using
something they are unfamiliar with they are well set for the future.  The
various 'skins'/add-ons allow people to get a UI they are more comfortable with
anyway.

However, none of that is really the point.  LO 'should' be able to work without
messing up IE as there are still a lot of people using it so a bug-report would
be a big help.

Regards from
Tom :)