Hi :)

The "Insert>Images etc" refers to the menus at the top of the Writer window.
Note that the menus at the top are
File   Edit    View    Insert    ....    Help
So click on the Insert menu.  The menu drops down and contains similar items
grouped together rather than being alphabetical.  The various "Picture" (or
"Image" in other releases and Word i guess) are near the bottom.  "Object" just
below it is for video or sound.  If you select "Picture" then a sub-menu appears
offering "From File" or "Scan ...".  The "Scan ... " option is for
scanner/printers so you probably want the "From file" choice.  A 'pop-up'
'dialogue box' will appear so that you can navigate to the picture/image you
want to include.

Some of the terms are quite geeky but if you follow the instructions then you
will quickly understand what they mean.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)