In news:4DE21B26.1625.1040CB83@timi.iafrica.com,
timi@iafrica.com <timi@iafrica.com> typed:
Hi Alex,

I was just reflecting on the concept of having to pay for
support to resolve my Impress problem.... Such a venture
could cost major bucks if it is a serious code issue....
indeed it might not be fixable without the actual
developers.

OK, Lets say I spend big money to get it fixed.... what
happens to the solution which I've paid for?

Do I get shares in LibO for providing funding?

If the bug was in an Application which I owned then it
makes sense to invest but for a User to invest money into
a pit with no bottom it makes no commercial sense. My FD
would have a
fit... he pays for MS licences but would never pay MS for
Operating System support! His view being if it's sold
world wide as an operating system then it should "fit for
purpose".

The above not being applicable to private Applications we
may chose to develop.

Imagine paying MS to resolve the "Fatal Blue
Screen"............... What?

Kind regards

"Un-Impressed"

This is/was an interesting and useful thread for putting a lot of things
into context without a lot of angst or bitch-modes; congrats to all for the
competence shown throughout.

In my case, I find the occasional mentions of when some things will appear,
or relative time frames even, acceptable although a schedule that's adhered
to would be nice. OTOH though, many of the developers here also have
families and a "real" job that keep food on the table so I can easily excuse
the lax schedules. The vast majority of people responsible for the actual
underlying code and other functions appears by far to be volunteers, not
paid personnel and they have accomplished a fantastic amount of work in a
short time to get LO off the ground and functional for at least most people.
   As was mentioned, Writer and Calc are my two most used applications in LO
where I have much less use for Impress, the real subject of this part of the
thread.
  Most of the other applications in LO I simply learn from the ground up in
LO and make few comparisons to MS; it makes it easier to pick up on the
nuances for the most part. Base will be my next target and I'm lucky in that
my needs for Impress aren't great. What I create in Impress is for my own
personal use as presentations, etc. of MINE and not something where I must
pass the files on to another person or department, so if I get it working in
Impress, which I find fairly easy to use, that's as far as I have to go;
next step is in the meeting rooms of whomever the presentation is for. Thus
for me, I don't run into many of the problems discussed here.

IMO, LO is in pretty good shape and should improve considerably over the
next year or so. As for fixes that won't be fixed, I pray that's an
over/under statement because if I take it seriously and as was stated, it'd
be a huge disappointment unless there were at least workarounds or a
different way of gettng what the users needed, which will never be an
ignored bug. And I do understand that there wll be problems with available
resources, expertise and all kinds of thing but eventually every single
legitimate bug needs to be addressed.

Just my two cents, nothing more. I'm an avid user and I hope that folks like
"un-impressed" will check back now and then. The biggest thing I think is
missing is a straght-forward, bulleted list of bugs & problems for each
application within Lbre Office. I don't find the bug-tracking system to be
very good for such a purpose. Had this existed, perhaps "Un-Impressed"
wouldn't have posted that he had to leave Impress. At a minimum the list/s
could save a lot of people a lot of heartache by reading it before going
producton-mode for several days/weeks and then dscovering some important
function is buggy or missing as yet. I suspect such a list could be
generated from the bug-tracker as opposed tosomeone sitting down and
recreating the wheel.

Best Regards,

Twayne`