In news:308716.4509.qm@web24103.mail.ird.yahoo.com,
Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> typed:
________________________________
From: webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
<webmaster@krackedpress.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Thu, 26 May, 2011 2:15:32
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: upgrade path?

On 05/25/2011 08:30 PM, NoOp wrote:
On 05/25/2011 03:21 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
Tom Davies wrote (25-05-11 23:53)
Lol.
Lol too

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan
Release cycle of 6 months, does mean in our case
approximately 6-7 releases a year.

No. It means the "final" releases are (I suspect) in
sync with Ubuntu releases:

<quote>
Synchronizing our time based release schedule with the
wider Free Software ecosystem also has huge advantages,
by getting our new features, out to users as quickly as
possible - with a minimum of distribution cycle lag. In
consequence, we will aim at six monthly releases, and
over time nudge them to align well with the March /
September norms. </quote>

Seems to indicate that LO are bending over to
Ubuntu/<possibly other distro>  release schedules. Let's
see... Ubuntu releases are April (hence the LO March
time) and October (hence the LO September time)...

This was quite apparent with the LO 3.3.2 "release" in
sync with Ubuntu Natty 11.04 with considerable
breakage/bugs still in LO 3.3. Please tell me that I'm
wrong.
well 3.4 is scheduled to be out around June 1st.  We are
on RC2 right now.

3.3.0 was LO's first release version and it came out
before OOo did and was better, plus a lot of legacy
coding was fixed.  Every release has some of that old,
unused, bad, or clunky coding repaired, replaced, etc.,
so future edits would not be dependent on the old legacy
stuff not messing up the new stuff. Sun and Oracle both
had that problem.  LO's developers do not have the
problem of "wasting" man-hours on fixing code that was
not done properly in the first place.  Our developers
both started cleaning up the legacy coding and put out a
better product than Oracle did, plus beat them to the
release date.  This is not our statements, but tech
publication reviews and articles stating this.

As for trying to have our releases timed with repository
upgrading?  Well it may be something for the scheduling
people to use for getting dates.  It does take time to
get the release packages listed on the LibreOffice
download sites to be "converted" for repository
updating/upgrading cycles.  I do not know how much time
it would take, but 3.3.0 came out in the beginning of the
year, and then a few months later Ubuntu and others
announced that they will add LibreOffice
3.3.x to their repositories and then drop OOo as their
default installed office suite.

As for "still having bugs"; well 99% of all software for
the PC market has bugs in their release versions.  No one
can find them all.  Some are found by accident due to
weird interaction with specific data or actions created
by a user.  We are no better, and hopefully no worse,
than other software developers when it comes to bugs.  Of
course, we do not charge you to buy our software and do
its best to own up to any bugs found, unlike some
companies that most of us know and hate.  Open Source
software may seem to some as having more bugs than their
paid alternatives, but the open source community are more
open about these things and will not tell you that you
are at fault and not their high priced software.  This
openness also makes it easier to find the cause of the
bug and get it fixed faster and better.

As for fixed schedules for software releases????
If the developers have version 3.4.4 list of work
finished a month early, they could start the RC process
early, and not wait.  So people could see a new
version/update out quicker than schedules, or if problems
arise even have it out later.  3.4 was originally due out
mid May, but it will be late May or first thing in June.
No big deal.  Of course we are not waiting for the Fall
to introduce the 3.4 version and keeping the 3.3.x
numbers going and going till then.

That is my opinion - what is yours?

Hi Tom,

Well written, well worded and good reading article. Libre Office is indeed a
valuable application by my own experience too and I'm quite happy to see it
doing well. I'm especially happy to see that simple early-on bugs that were
ignored in OOo were taken as tasks right away; For me it's one step closer
to dropping MS Office completely. I expect that to happen in the upcoming
release 4.

It's a great trip so far!

HTH,

Twayne`