Colin

1) Since you are using Win XP I assume that the machine is a little old.  That
means that the USB port is probably a USB 1 port.  That will run much slower
than a USB 2 port.  I have the same problem in the one lab I teach in.  This lab
is the last stop before the machines get recycled so the technology is old and
slow.  Or a second thought is that your flash drive may be getting old.  They
will slow down to a crawl as they wear out.  This is true especially when you
try to save something to it.

2) When I copy and paste from the web into a LO document I use the paste special
function.  Use the Edit menu Paste Special then paste as Unformatted Text.  A
faster way to do the same thing is to click on the drop down button next to the
Paste Button on the Standard (top) Tool Bar then click on Unformatted text.
Pasting as unformatted text strips off all the web coding that you can't see.

Hope this is helpful.

John McAtee