At 09:10 17/05/2011 -0700, Mohith Manoj wrote:
I was wondering how to hide a section automatically (by using condition of course) from printed / PDF outputs.

We just migrated to LibreOffice and my team is preparing templates for our quality documents. We were planning to put usage hints in such 'sections' so that it will be easy for the user to get adjusted to the document template, at the same time it won't bother the printer at all. I understand that using 'set variables' the same is possible, but that would leave the task of resetting the variable to my poor or rather unforgiving users. Text frames would have been ideal if they didn't leave large empty spaces behind once hidden.

If I understand you correctly, I think you can do this without conditions:
o  Select the relevant text.
o Go to Format | Character... | Font Effects (or right-click | Character... | Font Effects), and tick Hidden. o Go to Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Writer | Formatting Aids | Display of, and tick "Hidden text". o Go to Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Writer | Print | Contents, and ensure that "Hidden text" is *not* ticked.

The marked text will now be visible in the editing screen but not in Page Preview or printed output or material exported to PDF.

You can do this with a section, but only (it seems) if you hide the text in the section, not the section itself.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker