I suspect the grey shading is due to "Field Shadings" being activated.  To
disable it, go to View -> Field Shadings (Ctrl+F8).  I am not a Japanese
user and can't test my own suggestion.  Please let us know if it works.

Ctrl+F8 does get rid of the shading.  Perfect.

Change the settings for character style "rubies", and save that to your
default template.

Alternatively, Use the ">Format >Asian Phonetic Guide" settings.
Downside is that has to be reset at every use/

It seems like this is the only way, either change the default rubies
behavior, or make a new one, but when you make a new one, it always goes
back to rubies, so the best method seems to modify the original.
Unfortunately, making the other settings sticky is impossible, I guess.
Hopefully some programmer decides to look at this area and make it better.
Unfortunately, LibreOffice with regards to using furigana can't compete with
Microsoft Word's implementation.

Thanks for everyone's help.

How do you remove the gray shading from the furigana (ruby text)?

I suspect the grey shading is due to "Field Shadings" being activated.  To
disable it, go to View -> Field Shadings (Ctrl+F8).  I am not a Japanese
user and can't test my own suggestion.  Please let us know if it works.

deleted