On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 14:44, Ken Springer <snowshed@dishmail.net> wrote:
Hi  , Tom,
Likewise, I used to encourage the use of open source software also.  And on
a personal level, I always try to find an open source program for my use.

And my issue is not with the software itself.  Even though my impression is
the software is sometimes slightly buggier, the problems seem to be when
using advanced functions.  And a function I don't think the average user is
likely to attempt.

It's user support where things fall flat on it's face.  I only have one
person in my family and friends who would even have a clue as to how to
utilize a mailing list.  It's way too cumbersome and clunky for the people I
know.  Even I had trouble figuring this one out!  LOL

Well, I appreciate your concerns, which are valid.  But I think you
are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

A couple of points:

1.  A hybrid system like google groups where you can read a forum
online or communicate via e-mail (almost like an RSS feed) might be an
answer to the e-mail problem.  I much prefer e-mail.  I'm new to this
list.  Has anyone filed a feature request for such a thing?

2.  Twice I have presented a one-hour talk on FOSS at our local annual
"Computer Tech" seminars hosted by the Northwest Florida Association
of Computer User Groups.  It has been well-attended.  The first part
of my talk, before I get into my recs for software and resources, is:

a.  how to find help yourself

     The main point here is that not many people will help you (at
least not for long) if you don't learn how to read and find out the
basics on your own.   It applies to Windows users as well as Linux
users.

b.  how to handle e-mail and forums etiquette-wise

     I point them to the Code of Etiquette for Ubuntu (there are other
sources around, I haven't seen one here yet).

And I have found that Linux help is much better than Windows help,
especially if you stay away from those help forums that are kind of in
the "wild" and are populated by inexperienced users (lots of
misinformation gets passed around out there).

Best,

-Tom