Reporting to Native Lang Projects lists

Hi all,

It seems our communication in direction of the Native Language Projects
should be enhanced. Some members reported that they were not aware of
new versions or events happening in the project like Bug Hunting
Sessions or General Release meeting.
So, could you report major things like BH sessions, or special events to
your discussion lists? it would allow more participations and a better
communication between the different projects.
What in your opinion could be done to ease the communication flow
between international project and Native Language Projects?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Cheers
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

perhaps it might be useful, to send automatically things like BH sessions to the national discuss-ML also - of course this in english ("nobody" has time to translate such a mail).

Regards

Jochen

Hi Jochen,

Hi Sophie,

perhaps it might be useful, to send automatically things like BH
sessions to the national discuss-ML also - of course this in english
("nobody" has time to translate such a mail).

I would prefer that each NL project feels entitled to forward the mail
than one sending the mail to each NL list. It's already sent to lists,
blogs, social medias. For me the workflow should be:
we send to projects@list then fwd to the NL list done by one of its member.

Cheers
Sophie

Hi Sophie,

my opinion to your proposal:
in fact it is difficult to find someone who do this all the time (over the years).
Therefore my proposal.

Regards

Jochen

Hi,

my opinion to your proposal:
in fact it is difficult to find someone who do this all the time (over
the years).
Therefore my proposal.

maybe we can have a mixture - TDF staff speaks several languages, so think we can at least cover the French, Italian, German and maybe Brazilian and Portuguese communities (Italo IMHO speaks Portuguese), which would be a good start. For the other communities, at least forwarding the message in English can be done as well by TDF staff - if we want to have it localized (which would help greatly, for sure!) and a point of contact it the native language, we need volunteers capable of the specific language.

Florian

maybe we can have a mixture - TDF staff speaks several languages, so
think we can at least cover the French, Italian, German and maybe
Brazilian and Portuguese communities (Italo IMHO speaks Portuguese),

I understand Portuguese, and with some Google Translate help I can write
a Portuguese text. I speak Spanish better than Portuguese, so I can
cover Spanish as well (I have been interviewed in Spanish).

which would be a good start. For the other communities, at least
forwarding the message in English can be done as well by TDF staff - if
we want to have it localized (which would help greatly, for sure!) and a
point of contact it the native language, we need volunteers capable of
the specific language.

I think that this is similar, as a problem, to the issue of getting
press releases translated into native languages, which does not work
extremely well (apart the usual languages).

What is your proposal exactly, Florian :slight_smile: ?
Have a translation done by TDF for several languages and send it to .. ?
And send the English version to .. ?

Ciao,
Cor

I think it should not be so difficult to produce a table with a list of
NLPs and their contacts at TDF, in order to know in advance which NLPs
will be updated regularly and those who will not be updated about TDF
activities.

Once we have the table, we know which NLP will be informed about TDF in
order to decide what to do with the others. As English is not the best
option in some cases, we can send a short message in English, French and
Spanish.

To better manage the flow, we can decide that this multi-lingual message
will be sent once a month, with a summary of all the messages (it could
be the BoD newsletter we have started in June, translated in two
additional languages from the July issue).

For the distribution, we can use phpList, the same tool we use for the
distribution of press releases since last March.

Hi all,

What is your proposal exactly, Florian :slight_smile: ?
Have a translation done by TDF for several languages and send it to .. ?
And send the English version to .. ?

I think it should not be so difficult to produce a table with a list of
NLPs and their contacts at TDF, in order to know in advance which NLPs
will be updated regularly and those who will not be updated about TDF
activities.

Once we have the table, we know which NLP will be informed about TDF in
order to decide what to do with the others. As English is not the best
option in some cases, we can send a short message in English, French and
Spanish.

The table is already available here with there contacts, I try to have
it maintained up to date by the teams:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Language_Teams

To better manage the flow, we can decide that this multi-lingual message
will be sent once a month, with a summary of all the messages (it could
be the BoD newsletter we have started in June, translated in two
additional languages from the July issue).

For the distribution, we can use phpList, the same tool we use for the
distribution of press releases since last March.

so maybe adding the discuss@ list of the NLP to phplist would be a good
idea. We provide the message on the discuss@list in English and one list
member translate it. I don't see mailing personally as effective as
posting on a list, if the person you mail to is not active at the
moment, everybody miss the message.

Cheers
Sophie

I wouldn't mind translating relevant information to the Danish community,
but actually I think our people are aware, they can do as I've done; that
is subscribing to international lists that have my interest. Besides that
our local leader, Leif Lodahl, sends short informtion to the Danish list
from time to time.

Anyway, if you have have information you want to be translated, I would
suggest it will be sent by a new, closed maillist with only one or two
local subscribers - then we could easily separate need to know from nice to
know, translate it, and bring it on.

med venlig hilsen

Jan M

*mail fra Jan Møgelbjerg - **jan@mogelbjerg.dk* <jan@mogelbjerg.dk>
*Søvejen 17 Vestbirk, 8752 Østbirk, tlf 61 69 01 72*

[...]

as in my mail. :slight_smile:
Have TDF staff take care of the languages they speak.
Find volunteers for other languages.
And have English messages forwarded to other channels by TDF staff, unless that would be considered annoying (having foreign language on the local lists).

Florian

On the other hand it's good to have the initiative with the people
themselves. Little tasks do help people becoming involved.

But two ideas:
a. it could be an option that, upon request, those mails are
automatically sent to some NL lists. To be decided by the NL group.

b. a short summary on top/ bottom of announcements and such, may help to
translate just that and send it (with the full English text) to the NL
list(s).

Cheers,
Cor