LibreOffice Weekly News #4 released

Hi *,

I've just finished writing the fourth LOWN edition. [1]

Comments are, as always, welcome.

As I wrote in the introduction, I still need to catch up +700 mails
(most are technical dev oriented) and summarize the slides/videos from
the LibreOffice conference for LOWN 5.

If you get involved at the conference and had a talk there, please
provide your slides on your blog (if you have any) or any social
network. I'm following the most "influential" on each social networks,
if you published your slides there, I will find them. :wink:

As a reminder, if you have suggestions of topics non mentioned in the
mailing lists, do not hesitate to put a note in the next issue [2].
LOWN basically consists in writing a summary which could be reused:
* for the annual report The Document Foundation has to provide to
German authorities,
* by the marketing team;
* and also by IT news like NextInpact, Phoronix, etc if they want to
cover LibreOffice development.

Regards,

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/4
[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LOWN/5

- --
William Gathoye
<william@gathoye.be>

Hi William,

Hi *,

I've just finished writing the fourth LOWN edition. [1]

Comments are, as always, welcome.

As I wrote in the introduction, I still need to catch up +700
mails (most are technical dev oriented) and summarize the
slides/videos from the LibreOffice conference for LOWN 5.

If you get involved at the conference and had a talk there, please
provide your slides on your blog (if you have any) or any social
network. I'm following the most "influential" on each social
networks, if you published your slides there, I will find them.
:wink:

They are currently collected on the conference list, and will be
uploaded asap on the conference site, the users track is already
available. Same for the videos.

As a reminder, if you have suggestions of topics non mentioned in
the mailing lists, do not hesitate to put a note in the next issue
[2].

Some things on top of my mind:
- - MC elections
- - certification
- - Android tender
- - infra migration

LOWN basically consists in writing a summary which could be
reused: * for the annual report The Document Foundation has to
provide to German authorities,

the pad will be mostly used for that, so don't hesitate to add your
own infos on it, collecting all in one place is easier for the report
writers.

* by the marketing team; * and also by IT news like NextInpact,
Phoronix, etc if they want to cover LibreOffice development.

Kind regards
Sophie

Hello William, Sophie,

[...]

Yes indeed, which prompts me to note that, while I'm thankful for your work on LOWN, it does not look at all like anything collaborative.
Here are some additional suggestions to make this a community effort and to improve the content.

+ turn LOWN into a LOMM = montly basis
+ have one set day when the newsletter edition is being started, announce it to the marketing list, the projects list, the native-lang projects
+ set deadlines to report news and content
+ everything should be done collaboratively on the pad or on the wiki.

* by the marketing team; * and also by IT news like NextInpact,
Phoronix, etc if they want to cover LibreOffice development.

The newsletter is of primary internal importance, to keep everyone informed. But it can be used for other purposes, such as to feed some contextual content to journalists (journalists don't really care about newsletter, you must bring some specific message to them).

Thank you again for your work,

Charles.

Hi :slight_smile:
I agree that monthly would be easier for people to collaborate with.

There is the other way around of people just contributing and if they miss
one deadline for 1 week they hopefully catch the next weeks' issue. But
people seldom think like that so a monthly release might be easier to cope
with. Also although a LOT happens in a week it might be better to be a bit
more selective and only include a fairly random smattering of what goes
on. If people want the full play-by-play then they can join more
mailing-lists/irc channels and this wiki-newsletter migth help pique
people's interest more if it is monthly.

I think it was quite heroic to start it as a Weekly and i think that helped
"get the ball rolling". I think we need to advertise it more within the
community = and that might be better done monthly rather than weekly to
avoid spamming the mailing-lists tooo often.
Tom :slight_smile: