Italo, thanks for your elaborate explanation. You made a lot clear to me,
although I do not agree with everything you wrote and I do think every
community needs fresh participants every now and then to shake the tree and
challenge accepted wisdom.

Jon, thanks for your consideration. Personally, I took no offence in Italo's
copying. I mailed to him privately because I did not want to bother the
recipients of this list with my disagreement with Italo. If Italo thinks the
conversation is of general interest, I am fine with him publishing it.

I also agree with Jon's stance on LibO's ambitions. I feel that things
everybody needs and uses, should not be owned by a single commercial party
that makes big bucks from it. So I would like the whole world to use open
standards and free open software.

This vision implies that LibO be used by all people, not just the ones that
think hard about FOSS, have strong opinions about its philosophy and feel
part of an idealistic community. I'd love to see LibO be used the same way
Firefox or Chrome are -- because they are superior and free.

To achieve this, the developers and policy makers need to look outside the
community. Test users and focus groups of dedicated users can name new
functions that are "nice to have". IMHO, now it is more important to give
priority to the missing features that average non-committed users "need to
have". To identify those features, you'll need to ask former users. That was
the initianal point I tried to make. It turns out the opinion leaders in the
community do not agree with me. So be it.